Skip Hire Prices Guide London
Skip Hire Prices London Guide
Skip hire prices London: How much should it cost to hire a skip in London? This guide looks at all factors that dictate the price of skip hire including skip location, sizes and permits specifically within the London area.
- Skip location
- Skip hire by London borough
- Duration of skip hire
- Skip hire size
- Prohibited and accepted waste in the skip
- How to save money on skip hire
- Alternatives to skip hire
Skip Hire Prices London
Skip hire prices vary, and to calculate, you will need to look at all the factors below that may affect the skip pricing. The average hire price in London for a 6-yard skip is £265 (£221 + VAT) and for an 8-yard skip is £283 (£236 + VAT). These prices are for an off-road skip - not on the public highway.
1. Skip Location
Your geographical location affects the skip hire price. For example, a skip costs around 50% more in London than in other parts of the UK. Another factor is whether the skip is off-road (on a private driveway, in a garden or a field) or on-road and therefore will need a council permit. For a more detailed look into skip hire prices in other parts of the UK please see our comprehensive guide.
2. Skip Hire by London Borough
Skip permits exist to control how many skips are allowed on the road. There is no requirement for a permit if you put it on private land, such as your driveway, field or private road. But on-road skips require a permit from your local council. A skip permit typically lasts 1-2 weeks depending on the council and most councils allow for this initial period to be extended for an additional fee.
Below is a table of the average skip hire prices in every borough of London. The average hire price in London for a 6-yard skip is £265 (£221 + VAT).
Skip hire prices London incl VAT
|Borough of London||6 Yards 'Builders’ Skip1|
|Barking & Dagenham||£265|
|City of London||£280|
|Hammersmith & Fulham||£260|
|Kensington & Chelsea||£250|
|Kingston upon Thames||£270|
|Richmond upon Thames||£270|
Source: LoveJunk January 2022
1 Average London skip hire price (inc.VAT) for a 6-yard skip for mixed general waste
3. Duration of Skip Hire
The typical length of skip hire is between 7 and 14 days. You can hire a skip for longer but this may result in additional charges.
4. Skip Hire Size
Skips sizes come 2 Yards, 4 Yards, 6 Yards, 8 Yards and 12 Yards. The 4-yard and the 6-yard skip and the most commonly hired for residential waste. Larger skips are more costly and hold a lot more weight. For further information on 4-yard skip hire please see our guide.
Table of average skip hire price by size
|Skip size||Average cost excluding VAT|
|2 Yards||Prices from £80|
|4 Yards||Prices from £120|
|6 Yards||Prices from £150|
|8 Yards||Prices from £180|
|12 Yards||Prices from £250|
5. Waste Prohibited from Skips
The following items are prohibited from being disposed of in skips. Including but are not limited to TVs, computer monitors, asbestos, tyres, fridges, paint tins (unless empty), plasterboard, batteries, medical waste, gas cylinders, liquids, solvents, oil, petrol, diesel and explosives.
|Fridges & freezers|
|Liquids & solvents|
6. How to Save Money on Skip Hire
There are many ways in which you can save on skip price. Here are the top two:
1. Be mindful of how much waste you have to dispose of, and be sure to hire the right sized skip. Hiring a skip that's too small will mean overloading the skip and too little, and you have paid for large a skip that you are not making full use of.
2. Ensure that you know what is prohibited and accepted in a skip before hiring one. Please read our ultimate skip guide for a detailed look into what you can and cannot place in a skip.
7. Alternatives to skip hire
If you have bulky waste you need to dispose of, and you don't want to hire a skip, you have three options:
1) Use a Hippobag then pay a local man & van rubbish clearance company to collect and empty it. If you are looking for a Hippo bag and would like to see what Hippo bag discount codes are available out there, see our complete guide hippo bag collection.
2) Depending on the size and weight of the bulky waste you need to get rid of, you could take a trip to your local household waste recycling centre.
3) Use LoveJunk to find your cheapest (and closest!) available waste collector. Many councils recommend us.
Recent Bulky Waste Collections in London
Below are recent collections carried out via the LoveJunk marketplace. To find your cheapest, greenest and nearest value licenced collector today – visit LoveJunk.