Skip Price Guide – Including Skip Hire Costs & Permits
Skip price guide
Skip price: How much should it cost to hire a skip in 2022? The cost of hiring a skip varies widely depending on your location within the UK as well as other factors. Hiring a skip is likely to cost 50% - 150% more than using a man & van waste contractor to remove the waste because it has a higher logistical cost.
This blog looks at the factors that dictate the price of skip hire.
- Skip prices
- Council skip hire permits
- How to save money on skips
Skip hire prices vary, and to calculate, you will need to look at all the factors below that affect the cost of skip hire.
a. Location of skip
Your location will affect the skip hire price. Below is a table of all the major cities in alphabetical order in the UK and the average price of skip by size.
Table of average 6-yard skip hire price by UK city (incl VAT)
|price includes VAT|
Source: LoveJunk January 2022
b. Skip hire duration
The duration of time that you need the skip will affect the skip price. The typical length of skip hire is between 7 and 14 days. You can hire a skip for longer but this may result in an additional charge.
c. Size of skip
Skips come in the following sizes: 2 Yards, 4 Yards, 6 Yards, 8 Yards and 12 Yards. Larger skips are more costly and hold a lot more weight.
d. Waste type
What kind of waste type you are using the skip for will determine the skip price. Heavier, bulkier messy waste may require more room and therefore a larger skip hire.
2. Council skip hire permits
The average UK skip permit price is £41. You'll need permission from the council to place the skip on council land and to get this permission, you need to pay a fee. Skip permit prices vary throughout the UK. Contact your local council for an exact price. Below is a table for the average skip permit fees for councils in major cities within the UK.
Average skip permit prices UK city per week
|Birmingham skip permit||£22|
|Bristol skip permit||£65|
|Edinburgh skip permit||£29|
|Essex skip permit||£63|
|Exeter skip permit||£60|
|Leeds skip permit||-|
|Liverpool skip permit||£25|
|London skip permit (average)||£73|
|Luton skip permit||£35|
|Manchester skip permit||£32|
|Newcastle skip permit||£31.50|
|Nottingham skip permit||£36|
|Southampton skip permit||£26.50|
3. How to save money on skips
1. Hire the right sized skip. Hiring a skip that's too small will mean overloading and hiring a skip that's too large will mean you have paid for storage that you are not making full use of.
2. Ensure that you know what is prohibited and accepted in a skip before hiring one. Please read our ultimate skip guide for a more detailed analysis.
Skip hire alternatives
1) Use a Hippobag then pay a local man & van rubbish clearance company to collect and empty it. If you are looking for a Hippo bag and would like to see what Hippo bag discount codes are available out there, see our complete guide hippo bag collection.
2) Take a trip to your local household waste recycling centre.
3) Use LoveJunk to find your cheapest available waste collector nearby. Many councils recommend us.
Recent bulky waste collections
Please find below are recent collections carried out via the LoveJunk marketplace.
Visit LoveJunk to find a great value licenced collector today.