Croydon Bulky Waste Collection & Rubbish Clearance
Rubbish Clearance & Bulky Waste Collection in Croydon
The ultimate guide to Croydon bulky waste collection and rubbish clearance. It covers how to dispose of any rubbish or bulky junk (eg. sofa, large appliance, builder waste, mattress, rubble, fridge) if you live or work in the Croydon area, which solution is best for different types of waste, and what is the best value and most eco-friendly.
Key sections are:
- Reuse options
- Croydon Council bulky waste collection service
- Man & van rubbish clearance collectors , with examples and prices
- Skip hire providers, skip hire prices and local skip permit fees
- Tips/ HWRCs / civic amenity sites for Croydon residents
- Interesting rubbish statistics for Croydon council
- What is Bulky Waste?
- The Ultimate Guide to Bulky Waste Collection
- The Ultimate Guide to Skip Hire
- The Ultimate Guide to Rubbish Clearance
1. Reuse options in Croydon
The most eco-friendly and lowest cost way to dispose of something is to donate it for reuse. You can give stuff to an individual directly or to reuse charities (who then give it to someone in need or sell it and use the proceeds for their charitable cause). Remember, if you want to donate upholstered furniture to a charity, it requires a fire safety certificate.
Donate to a Person
Assuming a friend or relative doesn't want the item, the simplest way to donate is to list it on LoveJunk and tick the ‘reusable’ box. This notifies reusers based in or near Croydon and, if someone wants it, they will send you an offer via our app to pick it up. The process is super easy and free.
Croydon Reuse Charities
Here is a list of local Croydon Reuse Charities that collect quality furniture and large working appliances for free. Note that they are charities, so their response times and service levels may vary greatly.
|Alices Attic - Princess Alice Hospice||49 High St, Croydon, CR0 1QD|
|BHF Furniture & Electrical||7-10 Suffolk House & 1st floor No.6, George Street, Croydon, CR0 1PE|
|Croydon Community Reuse Shop||Fishers Farm Household Waste and Recycling Centre, CR0 3RL|
|Debra - Croydon||388 London Road, Croydon, CR0 2SW|
|Emmaus||7-9 Knights Hill, West Norwood, SE27 0HS|
|Hidden Gems||96 High St, Croydon, CR0 1ND|
|Mary's Living & Giving||38 High Street Wimbledon, SW19 5BZ|
|Mind||289 Lower Addiscombe Rd, Croydon, CR0 6RE|
|Revive & Recycle||160 Bromley Rd, London, SE6 2NZ|
|Shop from Crisis, Croydon||Unit 8, Crown Hill, Church St, Croydon, CR0 1RZ|
|Sue Ryder||35 Wallington Square, Wallington, SM6 8RG|
|The Garwood Foundation||127 South End, Croydon, CR10 1BJ|
Alongside the reuse charities mentioned above, Croydon has The Croydon Reuse Organisation that receives furniture donations. This offers learning opportunities to all sectors of the community in the form of small group workshops focusing on upholstery, woodwork, carpentry, and sewing.
2. Croydon council bulky item collection service
Croydon council offers residents a collection service for bulky items. The service is not available to local businesses or tradespeople.
Cost of Croydon council bulky waste collection service
Croydon council charges:
- £31.78 to collect 1 - 3 items
- £52.28 for 4- 6 items
Other information about the council bulky service:
Response time: typical wait times are 2 - 3 weeks
Concessions: no concessions available
Appliances: they collect electrical items but not American style fridges
DIY/ home improvement waste: the service does not cover any DIY style, home improvement waste
Internal collections: not available, all waste must be placed outside the property in advance of the collection date.
Garden waste: no garden waste is collected
More details: full details of Croydon's bulky waste collection service, including how to book, can be found here
3. Use a private licensed man & van waste collector
If you cannot donate your item and don’t wish to or cannot use the council bulky collection service, then you will probably need a licensed man & van rubbish collector.
Like the council service, a man and van waste contractor visits the property, loads up the junk, and takes it away for disposal. The main differences to the council's service are speed (private collectors can respond much faster), labour (they will collect from anywhere inside or outside the home), and type of waste (they can take all types including things like rubble and garden waste).
The cost of a private man and van collection depends on the type and amount of waste and when you need it removed. For lots of examples of man & van rubbish collections with prices, see the LoveJunk Price Gallery.
Find cheapest bulky waste collector in Croydon
To easiest way to find the cheapest licensed man & van waste collector for your rubbish in Croydon today is to use the LoveJunk waste removal and junk reuse marketplace. Just tap the green button below.
LoveJunk guarantees all collectors are properly licensed and insured and provide full details of where your waste ends up and how much avoids going landfill. That is why LoveJunk is recommended so widely by councils.
4. Example Croydon man & van bulky waste collection prices
5. Skip hire in Croydon
Another means of Croydon rubbish clearance is skip hire. Unlike man & van collection, you need to load the skip and the price is fixed regardless of how much you fill it. Skip hire is generally much more expensive than using a man & van unless you have lots of very heavy, messy waste and you would like to contain it all in one place while undertaking a project. For more information on skip hire, read our Ultimate Guide to Skip Hire.
Local skip hire companies
Licensed skip hire companies that serve the Croydon area:
Skip hire prices in Croydon
Typical Croydon skip hire prices (including VAT) for mixed general waste before adding any skip permit or parking bay suspension fees are:
Builder skip: 6 – 8 cubic yard skip @ £270 - £290
Maxi skip: 10 - 12 cubic yard skip @ £350 - £370
Skip Permits and Bay Suspensions
If you need to place your skip on the road, you will need a skip permit license and possibly a CPZ parking suspension. For more information, read our Guide to Skip Permits and Bay Suspensions.
Skip License Croydon: £66 for 2 weeks
CPZ Bay Suspension: £40.00 per day
Here is a link to the council website for skip permits: https://www.croydon.gov.uk/business-licences-and-tenders/licences-permits-and-registrations/apply/building-construction-and-hazardous-material-licensing-and-permits/skip-operators-permit
6. Tips & HWRCs in the Croydon area
If you have a car, a very cheap way of Croydon bulky waste collection is to dispose of your bulky waste at the local council tip. Council tips are only available to residents, not businesses.
Below is a map of council tips, household waste recycling centres and civic amenity sites in or near the Croydon region.
Map of Croydon tips
List of nearest household waste recycling centres for Croydon residents:
- Factory Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre - CR0 3RL (opening hours: Monday to Saturday, 7.30am to 4.30pm, Sunday, 8.30am to 4pm)
- Fishers Farm – CR0 0LB (opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm, Saturday, 9am to 2pm, Sunday, 9am to 1pm)
- Purley Oaks – CR8 2BG (opening hours: Monday to Sunday, 8am to 3.30pm)
Useful additional info:
- Booking: You don't have to book, just bring the following identification: Photo identification and proof that you live in Croydon; full or provisional UK driving licence, utility bill, bank or building society statement, council tax bill or mortgage or benefit statement, all must be dated within last 3 months
- Help unloading: Site staff cannot help unless you have proof of a disability
- Pedestrians can now access the Factory Lane and Fishers Farm site
- Cars: can be used at all sites during their opening times. Cars should reverse into parking bays
- Vans: can only use Factory Lane HRRC on Tuesday and Wednesday between 11am–1p and are allowed a maximum 6 bags of rubble but no trade waste
- Height restriction for vans: 5 metres total length and 2.6 metres high
- Charges: Free of charge
- Waste types not accepted: Compost
- Rules: You are prohibited from using a mobile phone on site
7. Rubbish statistics for Croydon
In 2021, there were 22,719 reported instances of fly-tipping in Croydon. That figure equates to 58 fly tips per 1000 residents and 15 fly-tips per 100 households, based on a population of 388,563 and 147,200 households respectively. That's a lot of Croydon bulky waste collection. To see how Croydon compares to other councils in London and the rest of the country, read our analysis of Fly-tipping in England and Fly-tipping in London.