Brighton Recycling Centre
Recycling centre and rubbish tip information for Brighton residents
Are you looking for information about your local Brighton recycling centre? Welcome, you're in the right place! In this handy guide for householders you’ll find full details about all the tips in Brighton. The guide includes an interactive map, opening hours, accepted items and more.
There are 2 recycling centres in the Brighton & Hove borough area. Their addresses:
Brighton recycling centre: Wilson Avenue, BN2 5PD.
Hove recycling centre: Old Shoreham Road, BN3 7AE, between Aldrington Avenue and Leighton Road.
Location map of Brighton recycling centre sites:
Brighton recycling centre is open:
- Monday - Friday 08:00-16:30
- Saturday & Sunday 09:00 -17:00
- Bank holidays 09:00-17:00.
- Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
Hove recycling centre opening hours:
- Monday - Friday 08:00-16:30
- Saturday 08:30 - 13:30
- Sunday 10:30 - 13:30
- Bank holidays closed
- Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Tuesday 27 December and New Year's Day.
Both sites close early at 1pm on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
No booking is required to access either of the Brighton recycling centre sites. You do need to bring your photo ID driving license that shows your Brighton & Hove address plus a matching proof of residency dated within at least the last 3 months.
Pedestrians can use Hove recycling centre, but NOT the Brighton tip (there is no safe walking route to the site). Cyclists can use either recycling centre but must queue with cars/ vans. Cars and certain vans can access the site. There are height barriers at both sites to prevent oversized vehicles entering.
Prohibited vehicles include:
- a Luton, or box style body - such as a horse box
- flatbed, tipper, dropside or similar body style
- certain sized trailers (over 1.2m/ 4ft - trailers under this size can access Hove recycling centre but not Brighton)
Items accepted at Brighton tips
Brighton and Hove recycling centres accept:
- Household items - including CDs, DVDs, vegetable oil, books, batteries and textiles
- Hard plastics - including plastic patio furniture, guttering, pipes, water butts, car bumpers
- Electrics - including TVs, white goods, appliances and mobile phones
- DIY & garden waste - including timber, scrap metal, plasterboard, hardcore, rubble, paint, household hazardous chemicals (these must be in a secure container)
You can take asbestos to the Hove site. It must be wrapped securely and twice in plastic, and you have to come with 2 sets of identification. One must be a photo ID and the other proving you live in the city. Asbestos is not accepted at the Brighton site.
To search for a specific item, use the council's A-Z recycling index.
You cannot dispose of these items at Brighton's tips:
- Fireworks - soak in water overnight and put in general rubbish
- Petrol/ diesel - take to your local petrol station
- Japanese knotweed - must go to a specialist
- Ragwort - must be disposed of carefully by a registered waste carrier
- Large amounts of asbestos (up to four sheets/ 6 small builders bags per month, per household)
Trade and commercial waste
This kind of waste is not accepted at the recycling centres. This is because they are for household waste disposal only. Traders or commercial building companies need to use a registered waste company. You can use LoveJunk marketplace to find your cheapest local licensed waste collector, as recommended by the council.
Unfortunately, there are no reuse points at either of the recycling centres. If you have items you can donate or that can be reused, see our article about Freecycle Brighton - there are plenty of ideas for reuse in and around the area.
Google reviews of Brighton recycling centres
Brighton recycling centre has a 4* rating while Hove has 4.4*. The main complaints are the queues and staff.
Thank you for reading! We hope this article has been useful. Any questions or updates about Brighton's recycling centres, drop us a line at [email protected].
As a Brighton householder, you might like:
- Rubbish Clearance Brighton - a complete guide to getting rid of your junk in Brighton.