Liverpool Recycling Centre and Rubbish Tip Guide
Recycling centre and rubbish tip information for Liverpool & Merseyside residents
Are you looking for information about your local Liverpool recycling centre? Welcome, you’re in the right place! In this handy guide for householders you’ll find full details about all the tips in Liverpool. The guide includes an interactive map, opening hours, accepted items and more.
There are 2 recycling centres in the Liverpool city borough area (Old Swan and Otterpool). However, with an address in Merseyside county, you can visit any recycling centre. There are 16 total recycling centres in Merseyside:
- Bidston Recycling Centre – Wallasey Bridge Road, CH41 1EB
- Clatterbridge Recycling Centre – Mount Road, CH63 6JE
- Formby Recycling Centre – Altcar Road, L37 8DL
- Huyton Recycling Centre – Wilson Road, L36 6AD
- Johnsons Lane Recycling Centre – Johnson’s Lane, WA8 0SJ
- Kirkby Recycling Centre – Depot Lane, L33 3AR
- Newton-le-Willows Recycling Centre – Junction Lane, WA12 8DN
- Old Swan Recycling Centre: Cheadle Avenue, L13 3AF
- Otterpool Recycling Centre: Jericho Lane, Aigburth, L17 5AR
- Picow Farm Recycling Centre – Picow Farm Road, WA7 4UD
- Rainhill Recycling Centre – Tasker Terrace, L35 4NX
- Ravenhead Recycling Centre – Burtonhead Road, WA9 5EA
- Sefton Meadows Recycling Centre – Sefton Lane, L31 8BX
- South Sefton Recycling Centre – Irlam Road, L20 4AE
- Southport Recycling Centre – Foul Lane, PR9 7RG
- West Kirby Recycling Centre – Greenbank Road, CH48 5HR
Location map of Liverpool recycling centre sites:
Here is our interactive map showing the locations of all 16 sites. Toggle the map to see where your nearest recycling centre is.
View Liverpool Recycling Centre Map in a full screen map
Both Liverpool recycling centre sites are open daily:
- April 1 – September 30: 8am – 8pm
- October 1 – March 31: 8am – 5pm
They are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. These hours apply to all Merseyside recycling centres too.
If you are coming in a standard car, no, you don’t need to book. However, you do need to book if you are coming with a trailer, in a van or in a flatbed (pick up truck). Make a booking here.
Pedestrians: not allowed.
Cyclists: no information available, so safe to assume no.
Standard cars: always allowed.
Standard cars with trailers, vans, pickup trucks: allowed with a booking.
Note: usually, anything bigger than a standard van (e.g. Luton, horseboxes etc) are not allowed on council recycling centre sites. If you have one of these, contact the Merseyside waste authority with the contact form on this page. Or call 0151 255 1444.
Items accepted at Liverpool & Merseyside tips
Items accepted at the Liverpool recycling centre sites and most of the Merseyside ones include:
|Batteries (car/ household)||Carpets and underlay||Electrics|
|Fridges/ freezers||Garden waste||Mattresses|
|Oil (engine/ cooking/ filters)||Plasterboard||Rubble|
Recycle paint at the following sites:
- Old Swan
- Sefton Meadows
- South Sefton
- Johnson’s Lane (up to 10 tins)
You can recycle asbestos at certain sites in Merseyside, by appointment only.
Check the Merseyside Waste Authority website for details about exactly which items each tip accepts, including which ones accept asbestos.
Trade and commercial waste
Trade and commercial waste are not accepted at the recycling centres. This is because they are for household waste only. Traders or commercial building companies need to use a registered waste company. You can use LoveJunk marketplace to find your cheapest local licensed waste collector.
There are Reuse shops at 2 of the Merseyside recycling centres (1 is in Liverpool):
- Old Swan Recycling Centre (Cheadle Avenue, L13 3AF).
- South Sefton Recycling Centre (Irlam Road, L20 4AE)
You can donate and buy preloved household goods at this site. The shops support Emmaus Merseyside and are a joint effort between the Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority and Veolia.
Google reviews of Liverpool recycling centres
Reviews for the recycling centres are generally positive. Users say sites are clean and organised, but some have problems with waiting and queueing. Try and go with plenty of time!
Thanks for reading! We hope this article has been useful. Any questions or updates about Merseyside & Liverpool recycling centre sites, drop us a line at [email protected].
As a Liverpool householder, you might like:
- Rubbish Removal Liverpool – a complete guide to getting rid of your junk in and around Liverpool.
- Freecycle Liverpool – your local guide to Freecycle and reuse.