Harrow Recycling Centre & Rubbish Tip
Recycling centre and rubbish tip information summary for Harrrow residents
Looking for info about Harrow recycling centre and rubbish tip? Well hurrah! You've come to the right place. It's called Wealdstone centre and this guide to everything you ever wanted to know about it, including the address, a map, opening hours, who can use it, what items are and are not allowed, what to bring with you, and how to book.
Address & Opening Hours of Harrow Recycling Centre:
Harrow Recycling centre is just 0.5 miles away from Harrow and Wealdstone station
The address is 1 Forward Dr, Harrow HA3 8NT
Opening hours: MONDAY - SUNDAY 8:30am - 4:30pm. It is open all Bank Holidays except Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day.
Contact number: 020 8863 5611
Website: https://www.harrow.gov.uk/bins-waste-recycling/recycling-centres and their Twitter
Location Map of Harrow recycling centre
Other useful information for the Harrow tip:
- UNLESS YOU ARE ARRIVING BY FOOT, YOU MUST BOOK BEFORE YOU COME. Here is a link to book a time. You need to book within 14 days of your trip. You require the registration number of the vehicle you will bring on the day when booking.
- On the day:
- Be sure to arrive within your allocated time - slots are 30 minutes only. You will be turned away if you arrive any later even if it seems empty.
- Please also bring proof of residency (e.g. recent utility bill), your booking confirmation number and a photo ID - a driving license is preferred.
Items accepted at the Harrow recycling centre
Here is a full list of everything that is accepted at the Harrow rubbish dump:
- Anything that would go in your household waste bins e.g., aerosols, plastic, card, cans
- Christmas trees
- Small electrical goods e.g., mobile phones, kettles, printers
- Large electrical appliances e.g., washing machines, TVs, fridges, computers
- Car batteries and other household batteries
- CDs and DVDS
- Textiles and carpets (wearable clothes should be donated!)
- Fluorescent tubes
- Wood and timber
- Cooking oils, motor oils
- Garden waste, excluding soil
Use the correct bins that correspond to each category and sort your waste out beforehand so your visit is as efficient as possible. Queues can be a problem, so the tip is keen to ensure everyone spends as little time as possible in order to maximise the centre's productivity.
Items prohibited at Harrow rubbish tip
The tip seems to allow pretty much everything apart from soil! For soil disposal you will need to a hire a skip, use a hippo bag or pay a licensed waste collector to remove it. You can find a cheap local one here.
Other useful information about Harrow Recycling Centre:
- Once there, you cannot leave and return with more waste within your 30 minutes - you must book another slot for a return visit.
- It is only possible to make one booking per car registration a day - If you wish to book more than one slots for the same day you must book the second slot on a different day.
- Be sure to during your booked 30-minute slot because after this time you will not be allowed entry.
- Vehicle restrictions: any vehicle over 6”6 will not be allowed entry. Seats inside vehicles can be folded over for room but not removed.
- You can visit by foot without a booked slot - you must first enter the site office to show photo ID and a separate proof of your Harrow address.
- Check Harrow Council’s twitter on the day since they often post service updates there before emailing you.
Harrow recycling centre accepts trade waste for a charge. If you are recycling trade waste, you do not need to book a slot. Just drive straight to the weigh bridge which is based on the lower level. Businesses wanting to dispose of rubbish (including anyone who wishes to use a van) will need to pay the following fees:
|Trade waste disposal fees||Minimum Charge|
|Green Waste (£84 a tonne)||£26.30|
|General Waste (£288.80 a tonne)||£99.80|
|Cardboard (£84 a tonne)||£26.30|
|Trade Mattresses||£21 each|
|Out of borough residents (Recycling only)||£27.10|
Luckily the queuing complaints have calmed from when they reopened after Lockdown. The process should be short and sweet so long as you book before. But do remember to sort your rubbish out before. If you are dropping trade waste, use the camera feed on the Harrow Council App to check if there are long queues.
QUESTIONS ABOUT HARROW RECYCLING CENTRE
Can I take a mattress to Harrow tip? Yes, you can. They also take old bed frames and other bulky waste.
Can I take paint to the Harrow tip? Yes! If it is trade waste, there will be a charge - please go the lower level.
What if I can’t get a slot I want? You can wait for a new slot becasue they become available daily. Or use Space Waye - details below.
What is the alternative to using Harrow recycling centre? If you can’t book a time you wish at Harrow recycling centre, Space Waye Reuse and Recycling Centre is open to residents from other West London Waste Authority boroughs (Ealing, Harrow, Hillingdon, Brent and Richmond), but you will need to bring proof of residency (photo ID, utility bill). You can book a slot up to 2 weeks in advance. Space Waye is open Monday to Sunday, 8am-4pm. Last entry is between 3 to 3.30pm. The address is Space Waye, North Feltham Trading Estate, Pier Road Feltham TW14 0TH. For all enquiries email [email protected].
Charges apply if you bring more than 2 mattresses (£12 per mattress) and if you bring DIY/construction and garden landscaping waste. Note if you are using a trailer be sure to enter via Heron Way (Gate 3). This is open until 2.45pm each day. Check the site policy here.
Reviews about Harrow Recycling Centre
However if you don't fancy or are unable to take stuff to the recycling centre, then why not pay a licensed waste carrier to take it away instead? To find a cheap local collector, publish a free listing on LoveJunk marketplance and see what the nearby waste companies (and reusers) would like to charge. Just click here.